Tonight, Arsenal host Liverpool in an important game for the shape of the top 4. Liverpool are 1 point ahead of Arsenal and a win for either club will put them in 4th place. Let’s look at what could happen.
Arsenal Team News:
Arsenal are without Giroud, Ramsay and Cazorla with Wilshire expected to get the nod. Arsenal have escaped with 1-0 home wins in their last 2 games and have the worst record of the top six vs the top six. I would expect them to come out firing after losing 4-0 to Liverpool earlier in the season.
Liverpool Team News:
Matip, Moreno, Sturridge and Clyne are all unavailable so Liverpool will have to play an irregular back four. Liverpool ‘fab four’ are expected to play so goals are almost a guarantee in this match. Liverpool have the best record against the top 6 out of the top 6 in the league since Klopp’s appointment. However, they have been shakey recently but will have confidence after beating Bournemouth 4-0 (the same scoreline of the game between these clubs earlier in the season).
Prediction: Arsenal 1-3 Liverpool
This year, 5 of the 16 qualifiers for the Champions League were English clubs. Liverpool, Man United, Man City and Tottenham topped their groups with Chelsea finishing as runners up. However, how likely is it that one of these teams to win the whole thing? Personally, I don’t think they will because:
• Tough possible last 16 draws: the clubs that have finished top do not have an easy last 16 ahead of them. Whilst clubs would hope to beat Porto, Shakhtar or Basel, they could face Bayern, Juventus or Real Madrid. Chelsea also have some tough possibilities.
• There aren’t enough world class players: There is no Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in the Premier League and that could be a factor. There is certainly some big talent in the clubs but I think that they will lack a world class player.
• Not enough experience: Man City reached the last 16 last year but aside from that, no one else made it to the knock out stages whilst only Tottenham were even in the groups. Unfortunately, it may be a while until one of these teams has the experience to win.
Sadly, I don’t think that an English team will win in Europe this year but I think that in the years to come, they can do it.
There were 4 games played yesterday and 6 more are set to be played today. I will look at what has and can happen.
With Tottenham’s 2-1 loss to Leicester, they are in danger of plummeting down the table all the way to 7th with if Liverpool and Burnley both win today. Liverpool are away to Stoke and that could be a tough match. Burnley are away to 14th place Bournemouth witch, again, will be a tough game.
Arsenal are at home to Huddersfield and expect to win. Man City are at home to Southampton and also expect to win based on current form.
Man United beat Watford 4-2 away yesterday and are on the chase of Man City, but are 5 points behind after playing an extra game. Yesterday’s results were:
Brighton 0-0 Crystal Palace
Leicester 2-1 Tottenham
West Brom 2-2 Newcastle
Watford 2-4 Man United
Alan Pardew has been confirmed as West Brom’s new coach after Tony Pulis was sacked on the 20th of November after a struggling to get results and now sit 16th in the table but could be overtaken by Everton, West Ham or Swansea so they could certainly be in he bottom 3.
Alan Pardew’s previous job was for Crystal Palace who will also be his first opponent for West Brom. Pardew will be looking to improve West Brom’s results and lead them safely away from relegation.
Last Weeks answer was ROTHERHAM! Congratulations to anyone who got the correct answer!
Can you guess this weeks club? (Hint: this is an American club)
Leave your answers in the comments below.
The answers to last weeks questions were:
1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Jordan Spieth
3. Philadelphia Eagles
Congratulations to anyone who got all of those correct.
This weeks questions are:
1. Who has won the most ‘World Darts’ championships?
2. Who won last years ‘World Snooker’ championship?
3. Who won last years Ryder Cup? (golf)
4. Who has won the most Olympic Gold Medals in history?
5. Who won the 2015 Champions League? (football)
Comment your answers in the comments below.
This weekend, each team has fought hard to earn their points and some matches had a dramatic impact on the table. Here are the results:
West Ham 1-1 Leicester
Man United 1-0 Brighton
Crystal Palace 2-1 Stoke
Tottenham 1-1 West Brom
Swansea 0-0 Bournemouth
Newcastle 0-3 Watford
Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea
Southampton 4-1 Everton
Burnley 0-1 Arsenal
Huddersfield 1-2 Man City
Arsenal now leapfrog Tottenham, Liverpool and are now just 1 point behind Chelsea after a win against Burnley. This came with a very late Alexis Sanchez penalty whereas Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea only picked up a draw. Man City avoided a potential shock after being down 1-0 at half time but came back to win. Everton are struggling after a 4-1 defeat and are now 16th in the table. Man United scored a late winner and the table now looks like this.
Today, Arsenal host Tottenham at the Emirates Stadium. With these two London rivals fighting for a top four position, it is definitely going to be an important game.
Arsenal Team News:
Arsenal are doing well with injuries as only Olivier Giroud is set to be out (other than Santi Cazorla). However, they would expect to be doing slightly better in the league so far and they should play attacking football as a win would be huge for them.
Tottenham Team News:
With Harry Kane set to be back and Hugo Lloris and Delli Ali doing well with their injuries, Tottenham only have Toby Alderweireld and Eric Lamela the only players missing from their 1st team. With Man United and City doing well above them, they will definitely be playing for the win.
Prediction: Arsenal 1-2 Tottenham
Since Man City have had an unbeaten start to the season, it has aroused the question, will they go invincible? They have currently won 10 and drew 1 whilst already beaten top teams such as Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Who can stop them?
Personally, I think that they will not complete this feat for the following reasons:
- Arsenal had less competition – back in the day, you had to be a big team to come anywhere close to wining the league, whereas now, anyone can (look at Leicester). This mean that any team can now win any game.
- Injury Prone Aguero – Aguero had already been injured this season and has recently fainted in Argentina. While Jesus is not a bad replacement by any means, he is not the same class as Aguero which may show in some big games.
- Luck – Even a massive Arsenal fan would have to admit that incredible luck was very much needed. It may be that City just wont have the luck.
I do think that Man City will win the tittle this year but I don’t think that the invincibles will be a reality. What do you think?
Ireland are left distraught after a 5-1 loss to Denmark. They had a 0-0 draw away from home and were hoping for a win with the home advantage. However, it did not go their way.
Ireland opened the scoring in the 6th minute through Duffy and at that point would have had high hopes. However it all went down hill. Christie scored an own goal in the 29th minute leveling up the score and an Eriksen hat-trick with goals coming before and after half time. Nichlolas Bendtner scored a ‘salt in the wounds’ penalty in the final minute and Denmark will be going to Russia after their 5-1 win.